Tuesday 1 April 2008

Tinker's Casserole

I was intrigued to find this recipe in my recipe book* as I have not made it for years; it was a staple part of my repertoire in the 70s.

1lb chuck steak cut into 1” cubes
1 oz seasoned flour
4 oz bacon trimmings, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1/2 pint light ale
2 Tbsps Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
4 oz sliced mushrooms


Toss steak in seasoned flour
Fry bacon in large pan without fat until golden
Add steak and fry quickly until golden
Add remaining ingredients except mushrooms and bring to boiling point

Turn into a 2 1/2 pint casserole and cook at 325F or 170C for 1 1/2 hours. Add mushrooms and cook for another 30 minutes

* later: To avoid confusion here, I should add that my "recipe book" is a collection of recipes made over a number of years, originally in a ring back folder, but now on my computer

2 comments:

Elaine said...

I think I might make this the next time I get braising steak from the Farmers Market

hugh mathew said...

Hi Elaine

Thank you for posting this recipe. My wife used to make it for us when we were impoverished twentysomethings in London in the early seventies. We thought we had got it from the side of the Lea and Perrins bottle of W sauce but couldn't find it on their website. We could, of course, improvise a simple beef stew but were curious to recreate the old days. Nostalgia, eh !!