Saturday 28 February 2009

Pak Choi Soup

Okay, me neither!

The vegetable box this week brought a brown bag of pak choi (or Chinese leaves).

I think they like to challenge me!

Stir fry seems to be the most common use, although the leaves can be used instead of lettuce.

The leaves looked beautiful, lovely fresh green parts and creeamy stems.

So, soup it was.

I had 2 medium and 3 small onions in the fridge and 1 large potato.

I sliced the potato until it looked llike chips, then chopped the chips to even squares.

I then chopped the onions.

I sauted both gently in butter until well coated, meanwhile slicing the whites of the pak choi and tearing the greens.

The whites got added to the potato and onion mix and stirred in for a bit.

Then I added the torn greens and stirred them till they wilted down.

I poured on chicken stock and brought the pan to the boil before leaving to simmer for about 30 minutes.

When cool I blended it with a hand blender.

1 comment:

Dianamary said...

Yes!!..thank you Elaine, I had a glut of pak choy in my poly tunnel..it's SO easy to grow, so your recipe was just what I was looking for, many thanks, Diana.