Wednesday 14 May 2008

Liver and Onions

Yesterday, on my way home from my physiotherapy, I called in at the big garden centre. Amongst other things, I bought 2 slices of lambs liver. I don't remember the last time I had that - and the butcher said that it is not always available.

So tonight, that was what was on the menu - no liver and bacon (as I had no bacon!), so just liver and onions. This is a very easy recipe.

First, toss the liver in seasoned flour.

While potatoes were boiling, I added a sliced onion to a reasonably large frying pan with olive oil and fried it for about 10 minutes.

Greens need to be cooked for an appropriate time to suit.

I remembered to turn the potatoes down (!)

After 4 minutes, I pulled the onions to the outside of the pan and added the liver, cooking it for about 3 minutes on each side.

Just before the potatoes were ready, I removed the liver and placed it and the onions on a heated plate.

At that point I added some red wine to the frying pan and raised the heat to leave it to reduce and thicken.

Serve all on a heated plate.

I use microwave plate warmers, which are the best thing since sliced bread. I bought them from Lakeland limited, but don't know if they are still available.

1 comment:

Sage said...

I love liver and onions with mashed potatoes and petis pois.. real comfort food for the cold days... luckily SOH likes it too as I will be serving it to him soon if this weather keeps up.