Thursday 1 May 2008

Mince

Today I was so tired after what I had got up to this morning that I wanted a really easy, soothing meal tonight.

I had taken a pack of (about 1 lb) mince from the freezer yesterday, and so I looked in the fridge. I found 2 onions, 1 rather small turnip (Swede), a few carrots, and no potatoes. Fortunately there were still some potatoes left from my visit to the (not organic) farm shop.

So I peeled and chopped two onions and added them to the pan with the mince.

I browned the mince and onions in the little fat from the meat, then thickened it.

To thicken, I used 2 teaspoons of cornflour and 1 teaspoon Bisto, draked with a little water and made up to a mugful, added to the mince and brought to the boil, stirring all the time.

After that I turned the heat down and left it to cook for about two hours.

Normally I would have added mushrooms, but I didn't have any and I didn't have the energy to go and get any.

Meantime I chopped up the vegetables remaining in my fridge.

1 very small turnip (Swede), 2 "dirty" carrots and some potatoes.

Cooked the vegetables, mashed them and served.

Tomorrow I shall have left-over mince and left-over vegetables and shall update this post.

No comments: