Saturday 26 April 2008

Poached Eggs

I admit to my shame that I have just found out how to make proper poached eggs, I often cook 2 at time, so they often got kind of mixed up with each other, at least the whites did.. Even 1 egg got into a bit of a mess in the pan.

Then the best sister in the world made breakfast for 3 and produced beautiful eggs with 'puffed up' whites, and each egg separate.

So today I had a go and this is what I did:

I put on a (non-stick) pan of water with the addition of a small quantity of vinegar. I hate any malt vinegar, so it was balsamic vinegar.

I brought this to the boil, while in the meantime cracking 2 eggs into a mug each.

I turned the heat down so that the pan was on a rolling boil, and slid in the eggs.

I cooked them till they looked ready (sorry this is no use, so I think it was about 4 minutes) I always find it strange that a poached egg takes virtually the same time as a boiled egg to cook.

While they were cooking, I split a roll, buttered both sides and made my cup of tea.

Result:

Not quite as pretty as the best sister in the world's ones as they did not really puff up,

But success! they kept themselves to themselves, so to speak, and there was no taste of vinegar.

No comments: