Thursday 24 April 2008

Pot Roast

Today I made a very easy recipe which uses cuts of beef that are not tender enough for roasting. I used a topside of beef.

It is an infinitely variable recipe and depends on what you have in the house.

The principle is that you make a bed of vegetables, place the joint of beef on top , cover the vegetables (not the beef) with water ( salt to taste after adding the water), and give the whole thing a long slow cook.

Today, I looked in the fridge and took:

1 small turnip (Swede)
2 large carrots (1 red, 1 white)
2 onions
1 leek.

All were washed, chopped and added to my stock pot, then the meat placed on top.

(I had to make a bit of a well in the vegetables to hold the meat as the pan was not otherwise tall enough.)

I then added water to the top of the vegetables, salted it and brought it to the boil.

I love my hob as I was able to turn it down to the usual 2 setting and after about an hour was able to turn it down to 1 and it continued to simmer.

What a good meal it made.

I think that even a relatively small joint will make enough meat for 3 meals.

Later

I have whizzed the stock and vegetables and so have a good soup as well as cold meat for at least 2 more meals.

1 comment:

Sage said...

I do that with a carcass such as chicken.. with adding potatoes you thicken the final product which I call a stoup as it is too thick for a soup and not chunky enough to call a stew... one of the good things about Winter is spending the time in the kitchen.

Don't know if you like flapjacks, but I was given the following recipe as a bit less stodgy than the normal.

100g or 4oz margarine (or butter)
1 x 15 mls golden syrup
100g sugar
50 g oats
50g sr flour
75 g or crushed cornflakes

I put in linseed seeds & raisins to the mix, but you could add some chocolate drops or apricots just add a little additional golden syrup & fat to compensate.

Melt fat, syrup add Sugar then add to rest of ingredients, put in a greased baking tray then bake in oven mk 5 (190oC) for 20 mins. Cut into squares while still warm, but leave in tray to cool.

Enjoy